A Slower Pace

My friend, Sarah, nudged me today. She noted I hadn’t posted anything in a week, and asked was I tired of blogging already? No, certainly not tired of blogging. But I did read In Praise of Slow by Carl Honore recently, and it has made me rethink the frantic pace at which we live life.

This book is subtitled How a worldwide movement is challenging the cult of speed. This is the worldwide movement I have been looking for all my life. Ever since I spent a year in Spain in my mid-20s, I have tried to resist the North American ethos of work, earn, spend, repeat. The Spanish work to live – they do not live to work. They take time to savour good, slow food, good, slow wine, and I suppose good, slow sex (never got to sample any while I was there). There are pockets of resistance here in North America, but I am based in Calgary, and let me tell you that here, people wear 90-hour work weeks as badges of honour. So I am facing an uphill battle. But they’re always the most fun. I now have enough moxy to refuse to attend breakfast meetings, which are popular in Calgary, due to the fact I am rarely out of bed before 8:30. On this, I am firm. My circadian rhythm differs from yours and please respect that.

I am also seriously thinking of joining the Slow Food Calgary club (http://www.slowfoodcalgary.ca/). I just can’t seem to get around to it.

Did I mention that In Praise of Slow is right beside The Lazy Person’s Guide to Success on my bookshelf? ‘Nuff said for tonight.

Comments

Sarah Elaine said…
Yaaay! A new post! There is, of course, something to be said for "creating the space for anticipation to grow" (something akin to that slow sex you were talking about, I think...) It's that fine line between waiting with baited breath and walking away in a huff. :-)

Having lived near Janice Beaton's Cheese shop for a few years, I'm with you on the Slow Food Calgary thing. In fact, I'd love to join you... if we ever get around to it. :-)

Enjoyable post.
Anonymous said…
Firstly, I like your moxy (or, moxie, if you will).

Your mention of the North American ethos brings to mind a quote I read this morning. You wanna hear it? Here it goes...

"Let us be thankful we have commerce. Buy more. Buy more now. Buy more and be happy."
-THX 1138

Happiness is a warm bed late into the morning on a weekday.

Popular Posts