Delayed Gratification

So there's only four more sleeps until it arrives. I've been waiting and waiting for a certain piece of furniture I ordered to be delivered and Thursday is the day. And even before I ordered it, I drove my friends crazy just by talking about it all the time. And I began to realize that part of my intense pleasure in buying this piece is actually the wait I will have in considering the purchase and waiting for delivery.

Again, this runs counter to our present-day society. We want it all and we want it now. And even if we can't afford it, we feel entitled to it so we will go into debt to get it. The average Canadian family now has a debt equal to 120% of their total disposable income (http://www.vifamily.ca/newsroom/press_jan_27_05_a.html). And we seem to have given up on saving. Yikes. This is enough to make me worry. Although sustainable with low interest rates, when they go up, so will bankruptcies.

I'm no saint (yet ...) - I do buy plenty on impulse. But on big ticket items, there is something to be said about careful thought, saving and waiting. I am really excited about this, much more so than I should be.

What is it? That's for a future post. Until then - just four more sleeps, four more sleeps, four more sleeps....

Comments

Sarah Elaine said…
Yes, well, there is something... *delicious* about waiting, isn't there? Especially when you know that it will be worth it.

Waiting for waiting's sake is never cool. But waiting for something much anticipated, that you know will make you happy (however fleetingly) definitely falls into the "painful pleasure" category.

Well, before I make myself sound like something I'm not, I'll stop there.

I will close by asking though, if after 4 more sleeps you'll be planning the much-awaited poker nights? (wink!)
zouzou said…
yay! how exciting. that would be TOMORROW!!! can't wait to see it, must come by this weekend. I adore anticipation too. I think my favorite kind is vacation anticipation. It almost extends the holiday...
Anonymous said…
Listen, what the hell are you people talking about with the "I love waiting" and the "Waiting is delicious"? What a bunch of crap! I live in the bloated first world and if I want something I damn well better get it now! Now I tell you!

Popular Posts