A New-found Respect

For the past while now I've been watching birds. Little ones, big ones, colourful ones, woodpecker ones. I won't go so far as to say I've become a "twitcher", but I am noticing them more, especially magpies.

I'd never been a fan of magpies. They always seemed big, boisterous birds that would take on a cat without a thought. My cat was almost the victim of a vicious magpie swooping exercise a few years back, and, well, you just have to side with your cat. But lately I've begun to rethink the human-magpie interface. And I have to say I respect them. They are self-confident, in-your- face birds. They won't back down from anybody or any fight, and they know what they want (usually nice, shiny things). They're very vocal, and take action on a whim, without thinking the whole plan through. They're also quite attractive birds, with vibrant colours that make them stand out in a crowd (or flock). And I have to say they seem to enjoy their food - in more of a gourmand than a gourmet kind of way.

I used to prefer rather petite, pretty little birds, but as I age I can appreciate the magpie for all its many merits. Perhaps you have to be of a certain age, or a certain maturity, to see the beauty in magpies. And perhaps you have to be of that certain age to understand that assertiveness does not equate to aggressiveness. If I don't come back as a cat in the next lifetime, I think coming back as a magpie would suit me just fine.

Comments

Sarah Elaine said…
Magpies are annoying.

I think I'm just the opposite of you on that one... The older I get, the more I appreciate subtlety and composure... probably because I'm a natural klutz with bull-headed, bull-in-a-china-shop tendencies that I've tried to soften this past half decade or so.

If I had to come back as a bird, I'd be a dove.

But I'm with you all the way in that the best would be coming back as an adorable (and adored!) well-fed, healthy housecat.
zouzou said…
Cat! Cat! Cat! I think the plushy-type cat lives are handed out as rewards for good behaviour in previous lives. Barring a furry-purry-moggie, I think I'd pick a raven. Not just cause they're tattooed on my arm, but beacause they're really fascinating birds.

Popular Posts