The Butterfly Effect

I have the urge to say that I'm still enjoying my new sofa and will be back soon, but am afraid my friends will revolt and never read this blog again! But this is what happens to me, and it is a pattern I am only just acknowledging in myself. When I start something, I am very gung-ho, and do it a lot, and often. At some point, and I don't even know when that is, I tend to lose interest and am on to the next thing. My friend E calls it the "butterfly effect." I flit from one interest and/or activity to another. My other friend D refers to himself as a "dilettante". I don't know what to call it, I just know it happens to me, and frequently.

I also have this problem with food. For a period of time, I eat all I can get of a certain food. This summer, it happened to be strawberries, blueberries and sugar snap peas. All healthy foods, to be sure, but everything in moderation, right? Well, the inevitable happened - I can't look at a strawberry or blueberry now with anything but disdain. I still have an amicable relationship with sugar snap peas, but know I must manage the relationship, or the inevitable will happen, yet again.

So it is with blogging - or perhaps, no? Here I am blogging about this problem, so perhaps it's not the case. Maybe I will have a wonderful "aha" moment (like when I became a feminist) and this pesky problem will right itself. You never know. Might happen.

But then again, might not.

Comments

Sarah Elaine said…
Interesting (ironic?) that you discover and acknowledge this side of yourself as you are blogging... the very activity that seems to have fallen out of favour for the moment.

Ah well... it is what it is. If you enjoy it, do it. If it's passe for you now, then so be it. ('Twould be a shame though, considering that you have set the trend...)

Just remember, your cat, your sofa and your friends will love you just the same.
Anonymous said…
Actually, I didn't want to say anything but the sugar snap peas have been talking about you behind your back. They said you like curling and are Welsh. The nerve!

Popular Posts