I'm Baaa-aack! From Winterpeg ...

My goodness, but Canadian autumns can be weird. I went to Winnipeg last week on business (many thanks to Aunt S., who looked after Bast's Beastly Cat while away! And BTW, she's ever so sorry for the scratching ...)

It's November - perhaps I should expect a light dusting of snow. Maybe even take the boots to be extra sure. What I flew into was a full-blown wintery-type blizzard, complete with snow up the ying-yang and temperatures hovering around the -25 degree level. Sigh. Three days of this. Groan. It warmed up to maybe -5 by the time we left. My Winnipeg colleagues seemed to take it all in stride. We even had a reception at the Lieutenant Governor's residence which went off on schedule, much to my surprise given the weather. These Winnipeggers are hardy folk, there's no doubt about it. My theory is that nobody actually leaves Winnipeg and so they don't know anything of the outside world.

Back on the plane, I knew Calgary would be warmer, due the chinook winds. Chinook means "snow eater" and they blow even when there is no snow to eat. So I came home to a balmy 15 degrees, and it will be going up to near 20 degrees later in the week. Double sigh. My poor body doesn't know whether it's coming or going.

But I'm pretty sure wherever's it's going, it won't be to Winnipeg in the near future.

Comments

zouzou said…
Welcome home! I must say this weather is encouraging procrastination on putting up the xmas-lights - though I can't really get into the season until December is imminent.
Sarah Elaine said…
I second Z's "welcome home"! Nice to have you back, Bast!

As for Winterpeg, have you seen that commerical for tires where the guy thinks he's going to Hawaii only to realize he's on the wrong plane and that he's really going to Winnipeg? I can't remember the relationship to tires at the moment, but I do think it's a commercial that Canadians relate particularly well to.

Enjoy the chinook (gave me a helluva headache, but it's all good now)... and your new couch -- which I'm sure missed you as much as kitty did!

Popular Posts