Ah, the Irony!

A quick follow-up to the previous hippo post. I actually watched the Telus ad today (in other words, concentrated on something other than the hippo and the song) and the tagline that came after the hippo was priceless:

Not everyone wants a hippopotamus for Christmas.

Apparently, they do, as stores across Western Canada cannot keep enough hippo stock in this season.

The ad is actually pitching that you'll get an iPod if you order something or other. Tee hee. I love it when corporate ad-dom backfires in such an outrageous way. Although, you never know - maybe iPod sales will go up too. Just thinking that whatever Telus is selling probably won't.

Comments

zouzou said…
Bu-Wa Ha Ha Ha! Overthrow the Evil Empire! I'd never heard the song before and now I'm a confirmed hippo fan! though I don't know what the little stuffed ones are that are causing all the furor.

That ad sounds a bit hare-brained -you mean they don't promise you a HIPPO if you order an IPOD? it seems a little backward...
Sarah Elaine said…
I've seen the ad, too. I thought they'd be plugging hippo phone covers or something... I thought it feel flat too, when they were promoting iPods.

Down with Telus! (But rock on, iPod... of course!)
Anonymous said…
It is only too obvious to me that we need to invent the "Hip-Pod". However, what it is, what it will do and why, is a mystery best left to the ages.

Popular Posts