I Want a Hippopotomus for Christmas ...

Anyone else love that new ad by the nasty phone company that shall remain nameless? I can't get that 1953 novelty song outof my head. And you know what's worse? I'm actually beginning to believe I want a hippopotomus for Christmas. Damn you, Telus! (Ooops - quickly put both hands over mouth for blurting out previously nameless corp...) Apparently, hippos have become a hot item for Christmas because of this. Kids all over Canada are beleaguering their poor parents, not for XBoxes or iPods or other gadgetry, but just for a little ol' hippo. Warms the cockles of my heart. If you want to hear the full, original song, go to: http://www.minibite.com/christmas/hippo.htm

And reminds me of that other classic hippo ad, about the house hippos who live in closets and make nests out of dryer lint and lost mittens. It goes on to say that house hippos are friendly, but will defend their territory if necessary (hippo bares fangs at a cat that is probably hundreds of times larger than itself); house hippos live in bedroom closets, where they make nests from lost mittens, dryer lint, and bits of string; the nests have to be soft, because house hippos sleep about 16 hours a day (profile of a big yawn from the hippo) ; house hippos come out at night when they search for food and water (hippo swimming around in pet's water dish); house hippos like to eat chips (house hippo in potato chip bag, chewing; cat looking at the bag as if it is very interested), raisins, and the crumbs from peanut butter on toast. It's by the Concerned Children's Advertisers, and is designed to show how the media can wag the dog - or the hippo, in this case. Again, see for yourself at: http://www.cca-kids.ca/tvandme/english/hippo/ (note to self: must learn how to imbed hyperlinks...)

So there you have it - and now I want one too, which is dangerous, because the last exotic animal I wanted was a llama. You've met my boys Shaman and Cherokee, no? 'Nuff said.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Well don't expect one from your cousin's across the pond!
Sarah Elaine said…
I just clicked on the link... and almost peed I laughed so hard!

I think Shaman and Cherokee would get very jealous if they were usurped by a hippo... And at least the llamas can live not far from Calgary... but a hippo?

BTW, I don't appreciate the incorrect pluralization of the animals in the song... sets a very bad example for the young'uns, don't you think?
Anonymous said…
I will make a manly attempt at acquiescing to your heart's abstruse desire. I just don't know how I'm going to cram a whole hippo into that mailing tube. Would a few carefully chosen hippo bits suffice?
Kendrick B said…
Hi, great reading your blog

Popular Posts