Bast's Best Products: "Salt" of the Earth

I've been really busy lately. This is a Good Thing, as I run my own business. I have many deliverables due on or by March 31, so I am flat out right now. But my body has recently been informing me of the stress I'm under. This manifests itself in the form of tiny tinges in my lower back, as if to say, "Keep it up, and you'll be sorry. I can go at any time and you'll be on your back for two weeks straight. Tee hee."

I've never been very good at self-care. But I am beginning to learn as I wax and wane dangerously close to mid-life. I went for a cranial-sacral massage on Friday night, and I do believe this woman is a miracle worker. I felt mah-velous, darlink. She said to top it off with an epsom salt bath. Epsom salts? Wasn't that something old men used to use in the 40s? Not wanting to do anything to endanger my new-found back happiness, I stopped by the drugstore and picked up a bag.

After coming home from the wake (yes, I attending an actual Irish wake on St Paddy's Day - Long may you visit, Joan), I went home and tentatively tried these mysterious crystals out.

Magic. Have no idea what they do. My massage therapist said something about leaching out the lactic acid from your muscles. Being inquisitive by nature, I did a little reasearch. Where else? The website of the Epsom Salt Council (!) . So here are the alleged health benefits of said salts:

Magnesium:
  • Ease stress and improves sleep and concentration
  • Help muscles and nerves function properly
  • Regulate activity of 325+ enzymes
  • Help prevent artery hardening and blood clots
  • Make insulin more effective
  • Reduce inflammation to relieve pain and muscle cramps
  • Improve oxygen use

Sulfates:

  • Flush toxins
  • Improve absorption of nutrients
  • Help form joint proteins, brain tissue and mucin proteins
  • Help prevent or ease migraine headaches

Epsom salt is actually magnesium sulfate, you see. "Epsom" came from the town in England it was first "discovered" and "salt", well, because it looks like salt.

Whatever it is, go, buy some. Soak. You won't be sorry.

Comments

Sarah Elaine said…
I bought my first bag about a month ago. So far, I've only made time for one epsom salt bath, but by golly, it sure felt good!
wthenrest said…
Ahhh ...I have known about these heavenly salts for some time... now to really love em! Add your favorite essence oil (lavender, honeysuckle...) and have an aromatherapy fiesta!!!
Not only your body is relaxed but your mind and spirit too :0)
Turtle Guy said…
Isn't it a sweet feeling when you find a product or a service that fits you like a hand in a mit!

I say if you find something that isn't a "drug" that makes you feel wonderful, endulge!

Be well, relax and enjoy your 'salts.
Anonymous said…
Yes Lee. Endulge. You deserve it.

Popular Posts