A Single Rant

I've been doing a bit of thinking about my single life recently. Two things precipitated this thinking: 1) the soaring real estate prices in Calgary and 2) doing my taxes.

I need to preface my remarks by saying I do love being single and I don't want to change my status. I am just venting.

For those of you outside of Calgary, the real estate market here is out of control. Houses have gone up 30% in value in the past few months, and people are scrambling to get into the market. I'm not in the market. Nor do I think I'll ever get into the market here. The average house price in Calgary is $363,370, which is $10,000 higher than Toronto. If I had a partner, I could get into the market, as I could afford a $150,000 mortgage ( x 2). But you can't get a cave-house in Calgary for $150,000. So, partnerless, I continue to rent.

Then I was doing my taxes and a thought struck me. I wonder if two income families pay the same tax as I do? So I went hunting for a tax calculator, found one, and discovered the worst. If I earn $60,000 (before tax), I pay $15,788 in taxes in Alberta. In a two income family, if one person earns $40,000 and one earns $20,000, they pay the following taxes: $9,310 on the $40k, and $$3,047 on the $20k. That's $12,357 total or $3,431 less than me. And that doesn't take into account the additional tax savings the $40,000 earner could realize by contributing to spousal RSPs in addition to her/his own.

Sigh. To add insult to injury I found out that the average after-tax family income in Alberta is $64,900. I'd have to earn about $91,500/year to realize that.

I guess that's the Alberta Advantage - but only for couples.

Comments

zouzou said…
outrageous. Makes me wanna go find a man just to use his income. Just kidding. sort of.
could be one of those arrangements of convenience things. we'd both save a few bucks!
Sarah Elaine said…
No, it is not fair... Mind you, wouldn't you pay that extra $3K/year for the joy you get from your chosen life??
wthenrest said…
I with you...wouldn't- not be single- for the $ benefits alone. This is and has always been a couple society. I love being the odd woman out...WEEEEEEE!!
Being a golddigger? mmmm If it is a mutual agreement, why not?
Turtle Guy said…
Speaking as a self-employed individual, I've discovered a unique tax benefit... there's a lot of "grey area" inside the bounds of a sole proprietorship. ON PAPER I appear poor. When you look at everything the business covers on my behalf, being "single" doesn't play as a negative when it comes to the bottom line.
Unknown said…
I'm pretty sure it also happens in BC too. Although this is our first year filing, I've heard about this already too...

Popular Posts