Brave New World

OK, I've finally gone and done it. Those of you who know me know I loathe buying new technology - I think it stems from that awful decision back in the day to get in early and buy that 8-track tape player.

I own a 1988 Mazda MX-6 (in about 18 months, it will become a collectible car ...) and I was the last one on the block to get a DVD player.

Then there was my cell phone. I wanted to ensure I got good use and value from it before I upgraded. I bought it in 1998. Many of you have seen "The Brick". It became a symbol of my neo-Luddite tendencies. And it was an awesome phone (Motorola Microtac - it would not die and would not often drop a call). But in 2006, it became an aesthetic issue. I was becoming embarrassed to use it in public. Getting funny looks when I lugged it out of my bag.

So I succumbed to peer and societal pressure and bought a new one. Still a Motorola, which is apparently a sound environmental choice. But this one is fancy-shmancy. It has a menu. I can get voicemail. It has a speakerphone. I have different ring tones. And it vibrates. I feel very 21st century when I hold it.

And to top it all off, it looks remarkably like a Star Trek communicator.

Go figure.

Comments

Turtle Guy said…
I think the key here is to remember... nothing is obsolete if you still have a use for it. Good on you for getting all the mileage you could from the brick! (I had one too and loved it - except the battery was good for only 2 hours talk time... it became a limiting factor)

And there's nothing wrong with feeling more in tune with the Star Trek theme, right?

Popular Posts