The Kindness of (or to) Strangers

I'm back from my vacation with friends and family. In my absence, the showerhead fell off, the kitchen sink plugged up, and while I arrived home at 8:00 pm last night, the new lino for my apartment arrived at 7:30 am this morning. And so it goes. Off to a good start. But the cat is healthy and happy and that is really all that matters.

I was thinking about spending time with family today. I was having a rather good day with strangers - good chats with the plumber and the checkout clerk and all that. And I wondered why I found it easier to be nice to complete strangers than to my family. I can get a bit stroppy with my parents. The almost two weeks I spent with them was lovely, but there were times I craved my own company and felt put upon to do things I'd rather not. But to keep the peace I would go along and then be a bit mopey or sharpish. Not one of my more endearing qualities.

But I'm charming with strangers, or even acquaintances. (I met one in the washroom of a service stop on the 401 in Ontario - go figure!) Which makes me wonder if the more you get to know me, the nastier I will treat you. Familiarity breeds contempt and all that. Or maybe that really is my personality, and I try hard to play a role of a jovial bon vivant to the outside world? Or perhaps there are multiple dimensions and another of my possible existences comes creeping through once in awhile? Who knows. I must resolve to be nicer to people though - all people - even those to whom I am related by blood.

Good resolution. I wonder if I'm adopted in a parallel universe?

Comments

Sarah Elaine said…
Oh... so good to know you are just as human as me! I too, have a tendency that goes "the closer I feel to you, the stroppier I get". (Probably a good thing we're not related then, you and I!)

I think it's human nature.

Welcome home.

We'll have to get together soon and share stroppy stories.
Turtle Guy said…
It is true. The closer we are, the more "comfortable" we can be with calling a spade a spade... quite often without the padding of gentleness. "Polite" isn't always a concern.

The ones who love us the most can be the harshest on us... "tough friends last longer", and all that...
zouzou said…
ditto Sarah Elaine! count me in on that - I think we relax our "good" behaviour with those near and dear. Scott Peck says we should reserve our BEST behaviour for them since they're the most important to us, but heavens, if I can't let my hair down with your loved ones, I'd explode all together! part of being family, biological or otherwise...

Popular Posts