The Universe is Wacky - Part the Second

So I have been a bit down recently. The universe took note. On Friday, an old university residence friend invited me over to her place for dinner, where I was the surprise guest for two of our other friends who were in town visiting. Old home week, indeed. And attempts at reminiscing - well, it was over 20 years ago ... we even phoned a fourth woman who couldn't make it, but was there with us in spirit!

It was lovely to see them, even more so as they reminded me that as their "Floor rep", I was the one who got them into trouble, but I could always be counted on to get them out of trouble too. That's nice to hear. They were my girls, and we had fun and frivolity (and a LOT of beer) together.

We started talking about another of my friends that night - one who was a dear soul, but with whom I had sadly lost contact. As I thought about it, I wondered how I might try to get in touch. Turns out all you really have to do is sit back and let the universe do the work.

Tonight - out of the blue - an email arrived from her in my inbox.

I was stunned. That's a LOT of people from my past who have returned to me this year, and I intend to steward our friendships. I recently told another friend that there are ebbs and flows to any friendship, and this is proof positive of that. There is a reason for all this, I am sure. I don't know what it is yet, but I'll continue to seek the answers. Because really, it's the journey - and who accompanies you on that journey - that matters.

Comments

Turtle Guy said…
You used the word "steward". I'm impressed. It's not very often one hears that. I'm not so sure many peopleknow what it means!

It's a good feeling when old friends come together, isn't it - and when you need it, the Universe seems to keep everything in balance.

I read this meditation which speaks of gratitude for the small things. Friendships and reunions are things we often take for granted, but it seems you have a true appreciation for the little things that have come your way.

Meditation for July 17
365 Tao
Deng Ming-Dao

Gratitude

When you drink water, remember its source.

If your spiritual understanding is sound, then you will constantly be aware of the subtleties of life. If you fritter away your concentration on minor entertainment and trivial distractions, then you will never attain a profound level of awareness.

It is not the grand sweeping religious celebrations and heroic moments in life that are the only important spiritual occasions. Every ordinary moment, every little detail should be a celebration of your personal understanding. Your smallest act should be permeated with reverence.

One of our most basic acts is drinking water. Without it, we could not sustain ourselves. Water cleanses us, cools us, and is an essential component of most of our biological processes. But when we drink it, are we aware of what it does? Do we think of its source and all the efforts that make it possible for us to have this simple glass of water?

Being spiritual means not taking things for granted. Quite the opposite, you remember how everything that comes to you fits into an overall scheme. You acknowledge the precious quality of everyday things. And you maintain a gratitude for both the good and the bad in your life.
Sarah Elaine said…
What can I say? Insert Twilight Zone music here...

Popular Posts