It's Official ...

I hate public speaking. I really do. I don't feel I'm very good at it, even after the Toastmaster courses I took (well, maybe I should have finished them, to be fair ...)

I write far better than I speak. Perhaps that's because I live in my own head most of the time, not really talking to anyone but myself. Or maybe that I can go back and edit my writing, but not my spoken words.

I had to lecture tonight for about 2 hours. Needed a PowerPoint presentation to even half-way face it. Brought in some food too - props were definitely needed. I pace when I speak too - a horrible habit - and the room was set up funny, so I kept stumbling over equipment, furniture etc. Nice.

I had a very nice, kind audience though (and this is a shout out to any of the ladies who were there tonight if you're reading this - thanks.) I really think people understand the whole public speaking-fear thing. They say it's a more common fear than death. So that says something, no?

Like I never want to do it again.

Sigh. I feel another 'suck it up, princess' moment looming near. More anon.

Comments

wthenrest said…
public speaking is worse than death because the ridicule just keeps on and on...and that is all I have to say about that!
Sarah Elaine said…
I also feel that I write better than I speak...

But I don't hate public speaking as much as you... And having seen you in action, you speak better than you think you do.

Mind you... it is supposed to be the 2nd biggest fear out there... after death.

Next year... tag team!
Turtle Guy said…
Public speaking is like anything else. With time and experience you get better, more polished and far less nervous. When you think about it, the audience is really just like a bunch of your friends. They've all come to hear what you have to say because it's important to them.

Unlike death, you can "go again" and really can get better and more comfortable.

I'm not sure if you're a music buff, but Rod Stewart suffered from massive stage fright in his early years. So much so that he would do his performances from behind the speaker stacks, amplifiers or with his back to the audience. Doesn't seem to have hurt him in the long run.
zouzou said…
I remember doing an elocution contest for french and forgetting my poem half way through, due purely to stage fright. I also forgot my lines when traversing from Brownies to Guides, and stood there mum and mortified until the leader took pity on me and filled in. I did eventually get over it, can't remember how. I don't mind public speaking now but still get butterflies for the first few minutes...

Popular Posts