A Culture of Fear

Fear: it's an appropriate topic for Hallowe'en. And as I reflected back on my own childhood experiences of Hallowe'en, I noticed how far into the Culture of Fear we have descended.

I had to make a trip to the mall this afternoon on some business. I found I was just in time for the family Hallowe'en Stroll, where dressed up kids - and their parents - frolicked from store to store in search of candy treats. It was pleasant - everyone in a good mood, everyone warm and everyone quite, quite safe.

But being unsafe was one of the best things about Hallowe'en when I was a kid. Running around after dark in the neighbourhood with your friends, you experienced a raw feeling of independence, a thrill of being away from the safe confines of your home after the sun went down. If it was a little chilly, so what? Your ghost became a ghost with a coat. It was exhilarating.

Sure there were dangers. I must have been seven or so when the first rumours (we call them urban legends now) went around about razor blades in apples. My parents started vetting my treats. No home-made treats allowed, and definitely no apples. I always felt terribly sad about that, as some people had gone to a lot of trouble to make these treats for me, and they went straight in the garbage.

But that's nothing like it is today. We act as if Hallowe'en is the night that every single pedophile roams the streets and preys on little children. Well, here's a shocker for you. They would do that any night of the week. I worked in the violence and abuse area and I know there are a ton of them out there. And there were a ton of them out there when I was growing up too. We just didn't know it, or were afraid to talk openly about it. So now we take our kids to the mall to keep them safe from the bogeyman. Anyone catching the dichotomy here?

I'm not preaching complete abandonment of parental responsibility. Sure, take precautions - even dress up yourself and go out with the kids (you'll get extra treats, trust me.) But my fear is we've let fear get the better of us. Our kids are growing up so safe they will never, ever take risks.

This could come back to haunt you.

Like when you have a 35-year old still living in your basement. Ghastly.

Comments

Turtle Guy said…
Razor blades in apples... I remember that scare.

In my parent's day, the fear after dark was that some "spiritual power-that-be" may have relocated the potty shed!
Sarah Elaine said…
What? You mean there WERE no razor blades in the apples?

We had a convicted pedophile who lived on our block (until we moved when I was 6; he might still be there for all I know). The stories we got told about him beat any monsters under the bed, I'll tell ya...
zouzou said…
yoicks. I am all for the happy-scary experience of halloween - I think kids are perfectly safe as long as they travel in packs and stay on the main roads. Who knows whether trick or treating will die out all together? this year I only had six or so kids at the door, down from about 50 last year!

Popular Posts