Iconic Moments

So Jane Fonda was in town tonight. Of course I had to go and see her. Gloria Steinem came last year. So now I have seen and heard two iconic American women speak up here in Calgary. Where are all the iconic Canadian women though?

Some are dead. We have the Famous 5, the five Alberta women who fought for the right for women to be persons in the 1920s. Fay Wray, arguably, if you are a King Kong fan. Emily Carr, not quite a member of the Group of Seven. Some are still alive, but not great speakers, and I'm thinking here of Margaret Atwood in particular. Some are music icons - Celine Dion, Avril Lavigne, Shania Twain, Joni Mitchell, Anne Murray - hmmm...lots of those.

But none have the drawing power of these two American women. And dollars to doughnuts (Timmies, that is) the speaker next year will be another non-Canadian.

I'd have to say that I would pay to see and hear Mary Walsh and her Marg, Warrior Princess alter ego. I'd pay even more if Cathy Jones joined her, with her Babe Bennett alter ego. Two very funny Canadian women.

Icons? Not quite. But maybe we don't need icons in Canada.

Maybe we just need a good laugh.

Comments

Sarah Elaine said…
Hhhhmmm... the only two icons I can think of are Margaret Trudeau and Margaret Atwood.

I'd rather pay to see the comediennes, myself...
zouzou said…
We were just talking about Canadian people in general, and how little we know about our relatively famous ones. Point in case: the names of all the public schools are given after some famous Canadian and I haven't a clue who any of them were.

Popular Posts