Happiness - again!

In a strange twist of the multi-verse (for another post, I promise!) I was watching BBC news the other day when a documentary on happiness came on. The Happiness Formula took a look at what makes us happy, on numerous levels, and whether or not government has a role in this. One of the key informants, Dr. David Halpern, was a Senior Policy Advisor to Britain's Prime Minister Tony Blair, and author of Social Capital. Now this is curious to me, albeit on a personal level. You see, I actually know said Dr. Halpern, and can tell you I have seen him through some not so happy times. And vice versa. Granted, that was when we were both completing PhDs, so unhappiness was a constant state of mind.

But it did make me think twice.

Once: I should buy his book and show some collegial support.

Twice: The entire Blair government suddenly makes sense to me. This is the same man who did not know that cars needed oil changes lest their engines unexpectedly seize up.

'Nuff said, yet again.

Comments

Yes, but what does make us happy? And where was Halpern when Blair was squandering his political capital over Iraq?
Sarah Elaine said…
Having my oil changed regularly in my car so it runs well makes me happy. :-)

Popular Posts