The Winter of My Discontent...Scientifically Proven

I have been interested in the emerging research surrounding happiness, and have shared some of my findings with you in the past. And today brought another study, and everything started to make sense.

Seems that all humans share a type of happiness life cycle.The good news is that we start off happy and we end off happy. In the middle though, there is a significant period of unhappiness. The nadir of happiness has been scientifically proven to be 44. The age I turn this year? You guessed it.

This actually makes quite a bit of sense. I've felt off my game for the past few years. Not that I actually knew what my game was, which could easily be part of the problem. But now I'm feeling a bit ripped off. I always thought the 40s were the decade that women started to come into themselves and their power. Maybe they do, in spite of, or because of, this cycle.

Whatever the cycle, I suppose we all have to suffer through it. Apparently men also go through it, although their 50s are their danger decade.

So I am prepared to make the best of it this next year, but am going to be a bit more indulgent with myself. I know, I know - you're asking yourselves, " Can she be any more self-indulgent??" Hah! Just watch me. I will eat more chocolate, gamble more money, and watch more episodes of Babylon 5 and Battlestar Galatica than is normal for one person.

And that, dear friends, is how I will while away the year that was the dreaded 44. Oh, and renovate the bathroom at the condo...

Comments

Sarah Elaine said…
Oh, trust me, sweetie, a girl can ALWAYS be more self-indulgent!

And if you need some company to sit around and watch TV, just call me. Not like I've been doing any running lately... Sigh, so unhappy about it... If only I were 44 I might be able to be grown up about it and take it in stride. (As IF.)
Sarah Elaine said…
What up SAD girl? It's been almost a month with no post. Surely SOMETHING has piqued your interest in the last month??

Popular Posts