An Historian's Night

There is no doubt about it. Barak Obama's decisive win last night in the US presidential race is one for the history books. And as much as I have tried to run away from history as a profession after spending the better part of my life training for it, I do like these kinds of historical moments. They are transfixing. And the Obama camp knew just how far to push the pomp and circumstance last night. He delivered a presidential speech; not that of a candidate. He was humble, yet inspiring; cautious, yet optimistic; folksy, yet conveying the aura of a leader. A difficult task, and, unfortunately, not the only one he will face in the next few months as he seeks to right the course of Good Ship America.

I have had only a few other days/nights/moments which I feel I can rate as historic. Of course, 9/11 was one. The feeling that the entire continent was numbed and huddled together in shock was one that I hope never to experience again. The Challenger disaster was another, although I must say I did not feel the same for poor Columbia. I do remember being distracted for some time when the first Gulf War began. I had just moved to the UK to do my PhD, and simply could not believe a war (other than the far, far away Falklands) could break out in my lifetime. I can barely remember Neil Armstrong's landing on the moon, although my parents allowed their five-year-old child to stay up for it. And to be honest I'm really not so sure to this day it actually even occurred. (Yes, I'm one of those people - the conspiranoiacs.)

I grew up with parents who lived through WWII in England. I always felt a certain envy as they had seen and lived real history.

Perhaps, as surreal as it seems the day after, just perhaps, I have too.

Comments

Popular Posts