Poker Night

I've been curious for some time now about this new craze about poker. And especially women's involvement in it. Seems to me we'd be naturals, considering bluffing is a key element to the game. Not that I'm saying we're good at lying, but we are good at concealing and stretching the truth when necessary.

So I made a big decision in my life. I'm going to start a poker night this fall, just for the girls. Now this may not sound big to you out there in the blogosphere, but I don't think I've had people over to my place in about eight years. I like my space to be my space - no intrusions. Plus, I never felt it was big enough. But hey, for a poker game, what do you need? A table, chairs, a deck of cards, chips (poker and the high-fat, high-calorie potato kind) and voila! Poker Night is born.

I've started asking around my friends already, and they seem keen. (I'm assuming, and hoping, it's not because of some morbid fascination with finally seeing my place.) This is heartening. Looks to me like poker could become the bridge of the 21st century. Ever since the gang in Star Trek TNG started playing it, I've been curious. Got the rules, even read them, but I'm still a bit confused. (Does not bode well for my money-winning abilities.) Hoping my friends' confusion will equal, or outweigh, my own....

Comments

Sarah Elaine said…
I dunno... the thought of just a girls night sounds fun. The card game is incidental. Kind of like that time we played golf... Oh right... I forgot, you were actually trying to golf. Sorry!... :-)
Anonymous said…
I can't get behind poker as 'good timey fun'. THE PRESSURE! MY GOD THE PRESSURE! I find I generally need a good number of drinks to relax while participating in a poker game. This does nothing for my limited skills or already fairly surly attitude toward all things gambly. I'd rather play kaiser. Does anyone remember kaiser?

Popular Posts