Winter Sports

I'm not mad keen on many Canadian winter sports, like hockey, skiing, skating or snowshoeing, but I do like one of them - curling. I've always said I don't have any Scottish in me (Irish, English and Welsh, yes) but I am beginning to wonder if one of the little DNA beggers didn't sneak in generations back. Because I really like both golf and curling - the only two sports, besides caber tossing and hammer throwing, to make it out of Scotland.

Curling is great fun and pretty good exercise, as long as you're not skipping (not a dance-like jaunt down the ice; rather, the leadership position on a team.) I curled last year for the first time in about 15 years, and found myself thoroughly enjoying it. I even had the right curling garb - a retro curling sweater I had picked up that says "Al Belinski" on the sleeve. I don't know who Al was, but I was assured by the person in the consignment store that he had been a nice man. And that's good enough for me.

This year, I decided I needed to go one better and purchase real curling shoes. What fun. They really do make me feel much more professional. Oh, and I had to buy a "gripper" too. Quite like the lingo of curling, don't you? Which made me think that my very first sporting axiom - it's not how you perform, but how you look when you're doing it - still holds true. I wonder if that also holds true for sex? Perhaps my non-celibate friends can enlighten me ...

So don't call me on Friday nights - I'll be at the rink with the boys throwing some rocks and downing some toy beers (mine's an O'Doul's Amber) - like any red-blooded Canadian girl does in the depths of winter!

Comments

Sarah Elaine said…
What, pray tell, is "caber tossing"??

As for sex, well, I figure that if you're performing well, you DO look good doing it!

By the way, I heard a quote in one of my classes the other day that reminded me of you. Apparently some saint (maybe St. Thomas?) said something to the effect of, "Oh Lord, please help me be celibate... but not soon!" Made me chuckle...

Out on the ice with the boys, eh? Well, if you keep talking about grippers, who KNOWS what could happen... to the other woman I know with a core! ;-)
Bast said…
Caber tossing - tossing of a big telephone pole thingy so that it goes end over end. Never have understood the Scottish. I think the Saint was St Augustine - sounds like him!
Anonymous said…
OMG! Al Belinski is my uncle! But I'm pretty sure all the puppies he kicked and babies he ate would assert that he was in fact NOT a nice man. Stupid consignment store jerks!

Popular Posts