Wanted: One Patron

Having studied the Middle Ages for a long time, one of the things that resonated most with me was the concept of patronage. Not the Ottawa-type patronage we see regularly on the CBC (Dingwall et al.) but real, honest to goodness patronage. The type where you show yourself to have some artistic talent (writing, scuplture, etc.) and some wealthy and generous soul comes along and financially adopts you so you can concentrate solely on your craft.

Now don't get me wrong - I don't mind a hard day's graft. But as I age I am finding that as life speeds by, I need to do the things I want to do now, or it may be too late. The problem, as always, is money. Now I don't exactly live high on the hog. I like my luxuries, to be sure, but I keep my expenses within my means. Comes with the territory of having been a student until I was 30. So I would be a very frugal investment for any potential patron out there.

I think about $36k/year would do it. Yes, that's frugal in Calgary. Sorry - I can't tax receipt you, but could offer certain perks (no, not those kinds of perks ...). I'm good company, and could promise witty conversation and laughter at the vagaries of our 21st life. I cook a mean Spanish tortilla, and I own two llamas that are excellent therapy pets. What more could you ask? Oh yes, and of course, a lengthy and meaningful dedication in the first book published.

So if you fit the bill - literally - leave a comment and I'll get back to you. It might just be kismet.

Comments

Sarah Elaine said…
I can't be your patron, but your post does make me wonder what strings, if any, patronage has attached to it?
Anonymous said…
Patron me? I don't think I heard you correct. Did you say 'not those kinds of perks'? I'm sorry, there is absolutely no way that's correct. Listen lady, you'll put out and you'll like it...and it'll never get that good again! Jeez, didn't you see Moulin Rouge? It's a creepy Duke or death in your future. Embrace it.
zouzou said…
woo hoo, sugah daddie here I come!
when your patron shows up ask if he has any cute single rich friends

Popular Posts