Why the Liberals Will Win....Again

Has anyone seen the new Conservative and Liberal TV ads? For those of you outside Canada, we're in the middle of (another) election, which will no doubt return a Parliament that bears a striking resemblance to the one that just fell. All this for the low, low price of approximately $300 million to the Canadian taxpayers. We must be mad.

I'm not really that political - yet - but I am interested in the election. And I was more than a little interested by the stark difference in the styles of two TV ads run by the two main parties - Conservative and Liberal. Both tried to appeal to "normal" Canadians (like there are any!). But the Conservative ad came across as staged and goofy, while the Liberal ad was slick and, most importantly, did not have one Liberal politician - not even Martin (our PM) - in it. The Conservative ad had their leader (and I use that term very loosely) front and centre, and he played to his strength, which is looking nerdy and condescending at the same time. They were trying to do a mock interview and kept cutting back and forth between a fake media person, Harper (arguably a fake leader) and a fake normal Canadian. Do you get the picture? Fake, fake, fake! And they wonder why everyone thinks they have a hidden agenda.

The Liberal ad on the other hand was no doubt made by some Quebec ad agency who had a hand in the sponsorship scandal, has been dissolved and is now reconstituted under another name. No matter, they get value for their dirty money. The ad focused on normal Canadians (from every different region and ethnicity) talking about how wonderful the economy is under the Libs and how well everyone is doing - and that even Saskatchewan is now a "have" province! The production was professional, without being over the top, and the tone was upbeat. No Paul Martin whining on about how much he loves Canada. These guys are good. They know exactly what message to use and when to use it, and so I grudgingly have to respect them for being so damn media savvy.

And that, Virginia, is why the Stephen Harper Conservatives will never, ever form even a minority government. Ontario voters like well-produced ads. It's just that simple.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I'm going to have to consult my tarot deck to decide which way to vote. It's going to be a bit of a trial seeing as how, and I'm not one for hyperbole, I hate, literally, everyone and everything. I especially hate the propanganda being produced. But I extraspecially hate the fact that I feel pressured to respond to your damned blog which, in this particular instance, is political in nature thereby being drawn in to this raging tempest against my will. NOOOOOOOO! I'll get you bast! Oh wait, you're just in the back room. I guess I'll go say hi!
Sarah Elaine said…
Have you seen the new Parti Quebecois leader? Hell, I might be convinced to vote PQ if we're going on looks...

Policies though??? Hhhmmm.... I'd have to think on that one... Same folks I've voted for since I started marking x's I assume... Isn't that what most of us do?
zouzou said…
LamBASTing our politicians, are we? well let me join the fray! I hate Stephen. I will always hate him. He's everything I don't want to see in a leadership role. Paul, I dislike as one would dislike a particularly slimy bottom-feeding bit of sludge that passes for life. (and even they have the dignity of being avowed bottom feeders) I don't know the other guys. I'm going Green again, I feel it coming on. Do they even have any contenders? they are getting NO coverage though they do get some of our money to campaign with...WHERE ARE THE GREENS? probably too sensible to garner much interest from the media. No hysteria, no press.
Bast said…
Um, er, hate to tell you Sarah, but the PQ leader plays for the other team. Met his cousin at a friend's the other night. Nice lady!

Popular Posts