The "Calgary School"

For those of you interested in Harper's inner circle, Walrus magazine has an excellent article on this: The Man Behind Stephen Harper. Like I said, you can know a lot about a person by his friends. But take heart, my dear friends, it seems not all is well in HarperLand. The vice-like grip on the campaign and the party that his buddy American-born Tom Flanagan holds has the Progressive side of the party shut out. Peter Mackay may not have been pining only for Belinda Stronach when he went home to NS - he may have been pining for any power he thought he might wield in a party he naively helped create.

Upon further investigation, it seems this group gets a lot of their political strategy from watching chimpanzees. Which makes the election much more understandable in my mind, as I felt I was watching a bunch of baboons. They call it bio-politics. Do they even realize how feminist that sounds? This is what happens when you let academics run the show. Strong on theory - light on reality. And I can say that being a card-carrying member of that oddball community.

Perhaps we need to start a counterpart to this school here in Calgary. Let's name it "The Kensington School" in light of a neighbourhood within Calgary that has a certain and unabashed liberal bent. There is even a provincial Liberal MLA in that riding. Maybe even try re-branding the Liberals as the Progressives? Or the Progressive Liberals? Hey, it's worth a shot. I'm feeling worse about this new government every day.

Comments

Echomouse said…
Good post. Thanks for this. I'm going to link to you on my political blog. ;)
zouzou said…
Did you SEE the articles in the Herald this weekend? our paper LOVES him. It DOTES on him. and his wife who seems to be a woman of good sense - wait a minute, look at who she married.
Turtle Guy said…
Always thought provoking...

I don't generally fancy myself one to "follow" politics, however an interesting read.
Sarah Elaine said…
Never fear... It's another minority governement again, which means we'll be back at the polls in a year or two. No doubt by then, people will have had enough.

Popular Posts