The Eve of a Right Mess

Well, it seems my futurist prediction that the Liberals will again win a minority government are going up in smoke. Once the Conservatives pulled that horrendous ad off the airwaves, and muzzled all their social conservative candidates, it was full steam ahead. Of course, it didn't help that the Liberals were looking like a house divided. Internal wounds from the Chretien-Martin feud have finally risen to the surface and are ripping the party apart. Oh, and that nasty Gomery ad-scam thing didn't help either.

The polls are showing a Conservative victory. This got me thinking. Who answers the phone to a polling firm anymore? Certainly not my generation, who are fed up with telemarketers and have call display and call screening to avoid them. So it must be those people who want to be polled - ie, hear my voice, I am a card-carrying [blank] party member. So I am clinging to the hope that the polls are now horribly skewed in our telecommunications-savvy age.

I am also clinging to the hope that the women of Ontario will get us out of this mess. I am hoping that when they enter the polling booth with all intention of voting for Harper, they --- just ---can't --- mark --- that --- X (insert painful groaning noises here), when push comes to shove. The issue will be if their vote then gets split between the Libs and the NDP - not pretty as the Conservatives will stroll arrogantly up the middle.

My own vote will be Green again. Not a protest vote, as some are calling it, but a vote for change. For respect for women. For respect for the environment. And maybe most importantly this time around - for self-respect.

Comments

Turtle Guy said…
Here, here! Green is golden! I had this discussion with my brother-in-law a couple weeks back. I was yammering on about apathy on the part of the average voting Canadian and that "Green" seemed to be a, as you put it: "protest" vote or a "safe" place to put your mark if you really didn't know WHAT was going on or didn't really care. I think all the "right" reasons are in place to vote Green and I will proudly place my mark where it will voice my opinion and represent my views.

Happy voting!

http://turtleguy70.blogspot.com/2006/01/something-to-think-about-before.html
zouzou said…
Isn't it appalling? Have you voted yet? I'm going in a few minutes to try and avoid the post-work crowd. I just read today that spoiling ballots is illegal. so bite me. I'm not going to spoil mine, but the whole thing feels so futile... sigh.
Sarah Elaine said…
No worries, Bast. We all know you still have a future career as a futurist.

At least... we know you are forward-thinking! ;-)

I like these political posts of yours, by the way... dunno why, but I find them especially good.
Anonymous said…
I spent last night hanging out with Kim Warnke, the young and spunky green party candidate who came in second to He-who-shall-not-be-named in the SW riding and also the Green Party campaign manager, Darcy. They were really neat (yes, I said 'neat'. big whoop. you wanna fight about it?) people that I instantly felt comfortable with and who genuinely seemed to give a good godsdamn about the deplorable state of affairs that our country continues to find itself in, time and time again. The more we spread the green party platform love, the closer we will get. To what, you ask? Who can say. But it will be a damn-sight better, I'm fairly confident, than the here-and-now.

p.s. I hate everybody.

Popular Posts