Happy International Women's Day!

I've been doing some thinking about March 8 today, and its relevance to our current place in history. To be sure, I'm not sure if today has been a success or a failure. IWD seems to have passed with a wimper and not a roar. Not even Google deigned to provide a float-over graphic like they do for other days of note, such as St. Patrick's Day, or Van Gogh's birthday.

In Canada, a press release was issued noting that women's wages are currently at 71% of men's. Seems my allusion to wanting to be born a man to make more money in my last blog entry was pretty bang on. There is also a noticeable decline in the number of female senior executives, now at 22%, after a high of 27% in 1996. We are up in management positions though, from 30% to 37%, but we are clustered at lower-level management positions. Sigh.

But here is the statistic that wasn't reported today. Women's entrepreneurship is increasing dramatically. The number of women starting their own business has doubled since 1990, and women now own, or partially own, a full 50% of Canadian small businesses. So it seems quite clear to me that women are simply taking matters into own hands and changing the rules. We are fed up of being round pegs trying to fit into corporate square holes. We are building our own segment of the economy, with its own built-in flexibility. And we are doing it in unprecedented numbers. If corporations don't take note of this trend and take appropriate actions to retain and reward women appropriately, they will be losing some of their best and the brightest.

Being one of the many who has the best boss in the whole wide world (me), I'm not holding my breath for systemic corporate change. And on this day devoted to the tenacity of female workers worldwide, I say why wait? Let's go out there and make our own destinies.

Comments

wthenrest said…
I am so glad you gave me this secondary information about entrepreneurship. I was quite distressed that there was a reduction of women management. I should have realized that the statistics are probably also created by men. So, they would not be looking at other potential areas women have moved. As you said, not fitting into that round hole but creating a whole new shape.
I have to say I received several happy Women's day wishes. I don't think it is a whimper rather than a lingering hum that won't be quieted. We all know those continuing sounds in the end will piss people off much more than one roar :0) Leave that for the boys (in the boys club)....Not those nice ones; they can hum in our chorus. Happy Women all year not one day!!!!
Sarah Elaine said…
I enjoy your posts for the stats and perspective. And even though it is late... Happy IWD.
Turtle Guy said…
It doesn't surprise me, the increase in women-entrepreneurship. My personal take is that everyone is CAPABLE.

My question as it relates to the unbalanced pay structure in the corporate world is WHY?

Why are women paid less? Is it because men made the rules? Is it "just because that's the way it's always been"?

Wouldn't it be interesting to ask your corporate boss why your wages are lower - reminding him or her that "because they are" isn't an answer to the question.

Popular Posts