Three Degrees of Separation

Many of you know that I have an inner sci-fi geek. Not so much inner, really, as I pretty much light up at the mention of Star Trek, Babylon 5, Stargate, and of course, Battlestar Galactica (the new series, not the 70s version, although I liked that one too back in the day).

I also have a fairly overt obsession with William Shatner. I know, I know - I've heard all the Star Trek gossip about his arrogance and inflated ego. But really, he couldn't play Captain Kirk any other way. And I'm loving his Denny Crane character on Boston Legal now. I'm such a fan that I actually own a copy of his early cult classic (shot entirely in Esperanto), Incubus.

So imagine my surprise, astonishment and general gob-smackedness when my friend L. casually mentioned the other day that THE William Shatner is her father's first cousin. Arghhhhhhhh!!!!

After I had calmed down (which took about half an hour, I have to admit) I realized that this is only three degrees of separation. Only three!!! And then L. mentioned she'd invite me to the next family wedding, but not to expect an appearance from the man himself. No matter. I shall attend. If only in the faint hope that three degrees of separation will one day become none at all.

Comments

Turtle Guy said…
I was a Columbo freak for years... WS played the bad guy - an actor, no less a TV detective - in an eppisode next to Peter Falk.

...and wasn't he in Dodgeball next to none other than David Hasselhoff??
wthenrest said…
Wow you do have a fetish for the Shatman- I thought you were just kidding! Well, I have to say that a faint hope is better than none. I would be there too if I had a hope of meeting my fetish man...you go girl!
Sarah Elaine said…
I have an old All Bran box sitting on my counter for you... I almost didn't buy the cereal because it had a picture of William Shatner on it... But then I thought of you and decided that I really needed some fibre.

Oh. I guess that sounds bad.

Well, you know what I mean.

Popular Posts