Suck it up, Calgary.

So, our beloved Flames lost in the first round of the playoffs. Much wailing and gnashing of teeth today in Cowtown. I have to admit, I'm not one of them, for oh so many reasons.

Number 1: Calgary has had a bit of a superiority complex lately, and the universe hates those who are openly arrogant. Economic boom times, coupled with conspicuous consumption, has left me feeling cold about this city I happily called home. Stories of $1,000 cigars and $5,000 bottles of wine are the norm. I doubt they are urban myths. We needed taking down a peg, and this loss to the "Mighty Ducks" sure did it.

Number 2: Not one person I've heard interviewed has said they will now be cheering for the Edmonton Oilers, who did make it past the first round. This is parochialism at its finest. When the Flames were in their Cup run in 2004, I distinctly remember Edmontonians (albeit grudgingly) getting on the bandwagon and cheering the Flames. Would you rather another American team take the Cup? Really, get over it and get cheering for the other Alberta team. This Edmonton-Calgary rivalry has to end - they are both good cities, each with their strengths and weaknesses.

Number 3: The Red Mile is no more. There was an edge to the place this year that was verging on hooliganism, and it was only going to get worse as the Flames continued in the playoffs. It would have become super-heated if the Flames had met the Oilers, and the coveted Battle of Alberta had occurred. I shed no tears for the demise of the Red Mile.

Number 4: Hockey players make too much damn money for playing what is, essentially, a pretty violent game. This may be sacrilege to most Canadians, but then again, I'm not like most Canadians.

Now it is time to enjoy spring in Calgary and get ready for the next big festival of debauchery, Stampede. More grumbling anon, I fear. Must be the season for it.

Comments

Turtle Guy said…
Knocking Calgary down a few pegs... probably a good idea, just curious if it won't just happen on an economic level... in due course??
Sarah Elaine said…
I'm still a Flames fan... too bad they didn't show up for their last game.

I'm with ya on Stampede. Ugh.

Popular Posts