The "-ish" Factor

Funny how idioms develop. When I first moved to Calgary, I noticed people used the word "whatnot" a lot. Then, "not so much" came into vogue. Now, it seems everyone is using "-ish". This is more of a term meaning "kinda, sorta, not so much, really." So in reponse to someone asking "Did you enjoy yourself at the opera?", one could retort, "Yes, it was nice-...ish." "-ish" is best used with a slight pause before being said to increase dramatic effect. I find I am now using it as a stand-alone phrase in answer to questions. "Do you like the new Premier?" [dramatic pause] "-Ish."

Imagine my surprise when I went searching on the Internet, only to find an alarming alternate meaning for this term. "Ish" it seems, is also a slang term for "shit." Who knew? Not me. There I am swearing like a mad woman all over town and not even knowing it. Damn.

Then of course there is the etymology of the term. From whence did it spring? Old English, apparently. The suffix "isc" to be specific, and it meant pertaining to or being, as in, British or Jewish. Also used were cildisc (childish) and cierlisc (churlish). There's also a French version of the same term: "esque", as in picturesque.

As a good Canadian, and one whose bilingualism is fluent, albeit in a non-offical language, I shall do my best to incorporate the French version into my daily parlance from now on.

"Were you happy that Stephan Dion won the Liberal leadership?"

[dramatic pause] "-esque."

Catchy, non?

Comments

wthenrest said…
huh,huh,huh...but of couse..mon ami. I am glad I now know it is a swear because I use it frequently ..now I will use it even more-ish
zouzou said…
ooh. sweeet. a swear word that no one knows is one. I likee. (notice the use of the word "sweet" which used to be in vogue, but now is not, just as I get into the hang of it)

Popular Posts