The Great Purge

Well, I disappeared there for awhile again, didn't I? Seems to be happening a fair bit lately, but I did have a good excuse. I have been winding down, relaxing and generally trying the get my (*^*##& together over the past month. Part of that meant trying to lighten up - my soul, my spirit, but in particular, my stuff. I have a ton of stuff. And I have been gently but firmly trying to get rid of vast amounts of it. So bags of clothes, books, and paper (ah, the ever-fecund paper strikes again!) have left the apartment. Even old computer equipment has been appropriately recycled.

I do feel lighter, but am still shocked at the sheer amount of stuff that remains. We humans - especially in the Western world - love our stuff. We have TV shows explaining how we can rid of all our cluttery, buggery stuff. We can even hire people to come into our homes and get rid of and organize our stuff, if we simply can't face it ourselves. And still new stuff comes in through the front door every week. And so the cycle of consumerism and capitalism is complete.

I am going to try and be more conscious of my purchases over the next little while. Do I really need it? What am I going to do with it? Why do I really crave it? Maybe that will stem the tide of stuff that appears.

And continue the purge, I must continue the purge....

Comments

Sarah Elaine said…
Tell you what, I'll come over and coach by asking questions like "Do you REALLY need it?" and "Do you absolutely fabulously LOVE it?"

Then you can come over and do the same for me.

We'll rent a semi and then donate it all in one big go. How's that sound? (Can you even rent a semi?)

Popular Posts