Good Hunting

For those in the know, that is a BG (Battlestar Galactica) expression. Just after the CAG briefing each morning, it is the last thing said to the pilots as they disperse. But it could just as easily be a TSX expression these days, or a Dow Jones expression. The Dismal PM, Stephen Harper, was a bit, ahem, premature in his calling of a bottom for the stock market back in the fall. He issued advice for Canadians to buy stocks as he thought they were on sale then. Obama was closer to the truth - with indices falling to mid-1990 levels, one thing is for certain: stocks are now on sale. And I love a good sale.

But it does seem a bit too much like fiddling while Rome is burning. This is a disruptive recession, or it should be. GM will fail, along with many others (please, God, let it be Starbucks next!) and people will have to re-evaluate what it is to be successful. The old ways of doing business will give way to the new ways. And to be quite honest, these new ways have not yet emerged. So what to buy? Good question.

The goldbugs are clear in their message; and my own adviser is pretty old school when she says to buy oil and gas. I also could use a home, but reality has yet to set in in Calgary and real estate prices are still, well, stupid. So perhaps I just wait, trapped by my own inertia. But I have sneaking feeling I may be missing out on something big. Kind of like knowing there's a big lottery going on and not having a ticket - I am still sitting on the sidelines.

Good thing I don't equate my own happiness to my net worth. Then I really would be in trouble.

Comments

Popular Posts